Sunday, February 17, 2008

Who doesn't love heart-shaped cupcakes?

I always have a hard time with Valentine's Day. Some gifts are cute, some gifts can scare someone, some gifts are just right. The perfect gift, to me, is one that comes from the heart. I am also partial to home-made gifts. They seem to mean more that your generic shirt or tie from the mall. I was wandering though my favorite place on earth, Target, last Sunday and ran across these little happys... HEART SHAPED CUPCAKE MOLDS! OMG. I flipped! What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?! I grabbed up 2 packs and headed to the cake mix isle. Hmmm, I found some hot pink sprinkles and butter cream icing. I really wanted to get confetti cake mix but the were out so I grabbed generic vanilla cake mix. I headed home to take on the kitchen...



I am not a baker. I can cook a mean poppy-seed chicken casserole as well as any side dish you can think of but I can not bake. By the end of this, I had icing in my hair, cake mix dripping down the side of the refrigerator, and sprinkles down my shirt. Don't ask. Oh, and not to mention the smoke alarm has gone off...twice. This is turning into a disaster. The bf better appreciate these cupcakes of love.


All in all, they turned out...not that bad! You couldn't really tell that they were heart-shaped from the top but you could tell from the side. How cute! I only had 20 heart shaped molds and the box of cake mix made 24. Yes, I ate the rest of the cake batter. Raw. I was in heaven. Until I got a HUGE sugar rush followed by a horrible stomach ache. Whatever. It was totally worth it. 

Why does cake batter, cookie dough and brownie mix taste so good?!

My next baking challenge? A birthday cake for someone special :)

No comments: